What is Microsoft 365 Business
Microsoft 365 Business is a comprehensive set of business productivity and collaboration tools, such as Outlook, Word, Excel, and other Office products that are always up to date. You can protect your work files on all of your iOS, Android, and Windows 10 devices with enterprise-grade security that is simple to manage.
Suitable for small- and mid-sized companies, the operating system license is Windows 10 Pro, the SKU has a hard limit of 300 seats. The management tools lean toward the basic, and they’re accessed from a simple control panel.
Microsoft 365 Business includes the latest versions of Windows and Office apps like Excel and Outlook. Get up and running and take advantage of data protection and security that extends to all your business devices.
What is included in Office 365 business?
Office 365 Business. Desktop versions of Office applications: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote (plus Access and Publisher for PC only) File storage and sharing with 1 TB of OneDrive storage. One license covers fully-installed, always-up-to-date Office apps on 5 phones, 5 tablets, and 5 PCs or Macs per user.
Small business security needs
Your business data can be compromised in many ways. You and your users can compromise your organization’s security when you sign in with compromised credentials or view organization data on different devices and applications. More specifically, your organization is at risk from:
- Compromised or weak sign-in credentials.
- Compromised device with a weak pin, or a user owned device.
- Users who can copy/paste/save your organization’s data to personal apps.
- Users who install and use 3rd party apps with weak security.
- Email vulnerabilities including sharing sensitive data, phishing attempts, malware, etc.
- When people who should not, can access documents with sensitive information.
Office 365 Business includes:
- Always up-to-date desktop and mobile versions of Office applications: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote (plus Access and Publisher for PC only)
- Web versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- File storage and sharing with 1 TB of OneDrive storage
- One license covers fully-installed Office apps on 5 phones, 5 tablets, and 5 PCs or Macs per user Tooltip with information about operating system requirements
The Office 365 Business Plan plan does not include Office 365 email or Skype for Business. In these setup steps, we show you how to add your existing email account (such as Gmail) to Outlook.
In this step, you use the Setup wizard to create accounts and add your own domain. The wizard lets you personalize everyone’s user ID and email for your business
Once you’ve created accounts for other people in your business, you and your team members will be able to install the full desktop version of Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.). Each person can install Office on up to 5 PCs or Macs.
Set up mobile
Install Office on your mobile device, and set up Outlook to work with your new Office 365 mailbox. Everyone on your team will need to do this step. Each person can install the Office mobile apps on up to 5 phones and 5 tablets.
Store files online
Office 365 makes online file storage easy. To learn which storage locations are best for your business, see Where you can store files in Office 365.
Everyone gets a OneDrive cloud storage location automatically when you create Office 365 accounts for them. With OneDrive, you can access files across your computers, phones, and tablets.
On your computer, use File Explorer to open OneDrive. Or, from Office 365, open OneDrive from the app launcher.
View and upload personal files, or share documents or folders by clicking Share and then either inviting others to view the documents or sending them a link.
Simplified device deployment and user setup
- Helps provide protection from external threats like phishing & sophisticated malware with Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection and Windows Defender Exploit Guard
- Helps control & manage how sensitive information is accessed and transmitted with Office 365 Data Loss Prevention policies (to be available in summer, 2018) and Azure Information Protection Plan 1
- Helps protect, preserve and backup your data with Exchange Online Archiving
- App protection for Office & other mobile apps with Intune App Protection
- Device management for Windows 10 PCs, MacOS & Mobiles Devices with Intune device management
- Consistent security configuration across devices – Protection of company data across devices – Windows Defender, always-on and up-to-date
- Single admin console to setup and manage users and devices
- Auto-installation of Office apps on Windows 10 PCs
- Always up-to-date Office + Windows 10
- Streamlined deployment of PCs with Windows AutoPilot
Who should consider adopting Microsoft 365 Business?
Microsoft 365 Business was built for small and medium-sized customers that have little to no IT resources on staff and want best-in-class productivity and collaboration capabilities of Office 365 together with device management and security solutions that safeguard business data. The Microsoft 365 Business customer is ready to move their IT operations to the cloud and is interested in maintaining a proactive stance to help protect data on both company and employee-owned devices.
How can I get Microsoft 365 Business for my business?
Microsoft 365 Business may be purchased through a Microsoft Partner or directly from Microsoft. In choosing whether to purchase directly from Microsoft or via a Microsoft Partner, you should consider your on-staff capability and desire to maintain an IT infrastructure. A Microsoft Partner can help you deploy and manage your IT infrastructure including Microsoft solutions.
How much does Microsoft 365 Business cost?
Microsoft 365 Business is offered at USD$20.00 user/month based on an annual contract if purchased directly from Microsoft. When purchased through a Microsoft Partner, pricing can vary based on the services the partner provides and their pricing model for Microsoft 365 Business.
Is there a cap to how many Microsoft 365 Business seats a customer can have?
Microsoft 365 Business was designed for small to medium sized businesses with low to medium IT complexity requirements. Customers may purchase up to 300 Microsoft 365 Business licenses for their organization. Customers can mix and match cloud subscriptions; as a result, depending on their organization’s IT requirements, customers may add Microsoft 365 Enterprise licenses to the same account.
When considering an environment consisting of multiple subscription types, customers should work with their trusted IT advisors to determine how best to manage and secure the various subscriptions as Microsoft 365 Business and Microsoft 365 Enterprise use different capabilities to secure and manage applications and data.
Can I combine Microsoft 365 Business with other Microsoft subscription offerings?
Yes, customers can combine their Microsoft 365 Business subscriptions with plans and add-ons from Azure, Dynamics 365, Enterprise Mobility + Security, and Office 365.
Is everyone in my business required to have a Microsoft 365 Business subscription?
No, not everyone needs a Microsoft 365 Business subscription, although the security and management benefits are available only to those users with devices managed with a Microsoft 365 Business subscription.
Standardizing an IT environment serves to help reduce maintenance and security costs over time and is a state that businesses should strive to attain. However, we recognize that some small and medium size customers update their software primarily when they upgrade their hardware, over an extended period. Businesses can deploy Microsoft 365 Business to part of their organization, but for best protection of sensitive business data and consistent collaboration experiences, deployment to all users is recommended.
How can I know if the hardware and software I run today is compatible with Microsoft 365 Business?
If the hardware you run today runs Windows 7 Pro or later, it likely meets the minimum requirements for Microsoft 365 Business. Certain Windows 10 features such as Cortana, Windows Hello, and multitouch require specific hardware that is only available on newer PCs. See the Windows 10 Pro system requirements for additional details.
Existing desktop (Win32) application compatibility is strong in Windows 10, with most existing applications working without any changes. Customers and their trusted IT advisors should read the recommended application testing process for Windows 10 compatibility and review the Office system requirements to ensure a smooth transition to Microsoft 365 Business.
A holistic set of business productivity and collaboration tools
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher, and Access
- Exchange, OneDrive, Skype for Business, Microsoft Teams, SharePoint
- Business apps from Office (Bookings, Outlook Customer Manager, MileIQ1, Microsoft Listings1, Microsoft Connections1, Microsoft Invoicing1)
Desktop versions of Office applications: Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote (plus Access and Publisher for PC only)
- File storage and sharing with 1 TB of OneDrive storage
- One license covers fully-installed, always-up-to-date Office apps on 5 phones, 5 tablets, and 5 PCs or Macs per user
- Automatically updated with new features and capabilities
- 24/7 phone and web support